Sunday, April 19, 2009

Why am I doing this?

This winter I asked myself several times if I really wanted to continue with this skydiving thing. Most of the time, I wasn't really sure. Taking several weeks to a month and a half off between jumps left me nervous about each one. With the increase in jumping opportunity over the past few weeks, though, my enthusiasm has definitely returned. Even though I'm a complete mess in the air, I absolutely love everything about skydiving, and I look forward to how much I have to learn about it.

Oh ya, I got a few more jumps in this week, too. 

I'm back on the gigantic 260 sq. ft. student canopy for a while. The smaller rental rig I used last weekend got damaged on that jump and is now at the rigger's being repaired. Thursday night I went out to the DZ and did one jump (#48). It was just a hop and pop from 5k. My landing was nice. I like having a little bit of wind to land against. 

Saturday I did a 2-way with Bill (jump #49). I dove out after him, docked, then separated and did a really messy backflip/tumble-on-every-axis. We ran out of altitude to do anything else. My flare was fine, but since the winds were so light I had too much speed and ended up sliding in on my butt.

Today was another 2-way with Pat. We got sooo close to making it together this time. We were probably a foot apart when she suddenly went low, and once again we ran out of altitude to continue trying. One of these days we'll get it figured out. I flared a little high and had another ugly PLF landing. One of these days I'll get my no-wind landings figured out, too.


1 comment:

Jenn said...

My name is Jenn & I am from http://www.dzsocial.com. We are currently finding the most "prominent" skydiving bloggers -- and you are one of em' buddy ;-)
Anyway, the site has a blogging component and you would be free to publish duplicate copy on our site (from this blog.) We may also feature or highlight you in another section of the blog -- but we'd have to chat about how to do that.
Please email me at : freeflyflunky@yahoo.com if you have an interest.

Thanks & Blue Skies,
Jenn