Monday, September 22, 2008

Packing

Although I didn't end up jumping yesterday, the day wasn't a complete waste. I got Kevin to teach me how to pack a parachute. My first pack job was really messy. I practically crammed the chute into the deployment bag, and in the end it was very lop-sided and sloppy. I "milked" the lines when I was doing my line stows, so I ended up with a bunch of slack down by the risers. After Kevin came over and pointed out my mistakes, I tore it all apart to try again. Kevin had me go in the other room so he could really tangle everything up and make me figure out how to get it fixed. My second pack job actually went pretty well--so well that he said I should go ahead and put the rig on the table without having someone repack it. I wasn't very comfortable with the idea of my second attempt at packing a parachute being a matter of life or death for another student, so I waited until later in the evening and then pulled it all apart again so that someone who actually knows what they're doing could repack it.

2 comments:

Jakob said...

confidence!

Kate said...

I probably would have done the same thing. Too much riding on that to risk it.