Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Patiently waiting

I've been spending quite a bit of time out at my new DZ, Skydive Idaho. Unfortunately, though, I haven't actually gotten to do any jumps yet.

I went out last Wednesday to meet my instructor (Kevin Purdy) and go through some quick training. I think the point of the meeting was actually for him to size me up and see if I was going to be a complete disaster once in the air, but the people at Skydive New Mexico apparently did a decent job (no surprise to me)--he said my previous training was definitely up to par. I went to the DZ again on Sunday morning hoping to be able to jump, but spent the whole day grounded due to pilot and weather issues. I ended up staying the night at the DZ with the idea that my time would come on Monday. No such luck--the weather sucked again. Tonight the weather was decent, but alas, no pilots were available (the DZ's full-time pilot is out of state for school this fall).

The upside to all of this is that I'm getting lots of time on the ground to get to know all of the other students and more experienced jumpers. I love how friendly everyone in the skydiving community is. I'm normally very uncomfortable around groups of people that I don't know, but I already feel right at home with everyone from Skydive Idaho. I look forward to spending a big chunk of my free time at the DZ just hanging out and picking up as much knowledge about the sport as I can. However, it would also be nice if the weather gods would smile upon us on a day when a pilot is around... I want to go skydiving again, dammit!

Oh... and as a side note, I did get that job I interviewed for last week. Hooray for having some extra money to blow on more skydiving.

No comments: