Thursday, October 23, 2008

Falling Like a Rock

Jump #23

Tonight's jump was fun. I did a coach jump with Coy, one of the AFF instructors who's not around the DZ very often these days (and who, oddly enough, I met on an internet dating site about a year and a half ago... it's a small freaking world). The plan for the dive was to practice adjusting my fall rate to match his. I did a poised exit and watched Coy follow me out the door as I fell away from the plane. He caught up to me and then sped up to go low. I arched a little harder and caught up to him within a couple seconds before leveling out again to fall with him. Then he popped up above me, and I spent a few thousand feet trying to flatten out and slow down enough to join him. It didn't work out very well. I got my torso de-arched as I was supposed to, but I didn't have my arms and legs out far enough. Around 6000ft I adjusted my limbs to try to slow down more, and then I got really unstable and started wobbling and turning to the right. At 5000ft we turned and tracked away. I took a few extra seconds to re-stabilize before deploying (though my body position still kinda sucked), so I actually pulled a little bit lower than planned (3500-ish instead of 4000ft). On landing I flared a little bit early, but compensated for it as best I could by slowly going to full flare rather than punching it there right away. I was able to run off my extra speed in a few steps for a half-way decent landing.

I was really happy to make it out there for that jump, especially since it had been a full week since my last one. I spotted independently and got us out right where we wanted to be, so there's one more thing checked off of my A-license application card. Now all I have left is some on-ground emergency review and two more jumps. I'm not going to bother saying I'll get everything done this weekend, since every time I do that something gets in the way and I'm not able to jump at all. Instead, I'll just point out exactly how close that license is... only two more jumps!

No comments: